Mission of the Faculty of Religion and Humanities
The Faculty of Religion and Humanities of the Al Maaref University sees knowledge and education as a human right and an obligation since it embodies high values to individuals and society; it is the emblem of a virtuous and dignified life. Amongst its priorities, the Faculty seeks to spread an education that aims to harmonize modern science with religious sciences through a curriculum that focuses on critical interaction and recitation so as to safeguard religion’s presence in society. The pursuit of education and knowledge is a commitment decreed by the Prophet (pbuh); accordingly, the Faculty has included the Departments of Philosophy and Theology, history and comparative civilizations, translation and languages; in addition to the Department of the Quranic Studies and Prophetic Hadith, Department of Islamic Studies, and the Department of Comparative Religions. The Faculty aims to increase its departments horizontally and vertically; consequently, it is in the process of adding two departments, namely, Department of Psychology and the Department of Sociology, in addition to establishing a Master Degree (MA) program in all of its departments in order to prepare graduates of specialized competencies in all humanities fields of study.
One of the interests of the Faculty of Religions and Humanities is to cooperate with higher education institutions, colleges, and seminary schools inside and outside Lebanon based on the the official academic scientific standards applicable in Lebanon. In its strive to refine science and human knowledge so as to remain consistent with religious values, the university implements and invests in practical and applied fields.
Accordingly, and to achieve what it aspires to, the Faculty has established basic principles to abide by, such as
- Focusing on cultivating the culture of communication and dialogue of all kinds as it considers it necessary;
- Consolidating the national Islamic identity;
- Coordinating with academic institutions for the establishment of cultural and dialogic conferences;
- Reviving some religious events through seminars and lectures
- Working on curriculum development and modernization as befit the spirit of innovation and development;
- Implementing the latest means and techniques of teaching and education;
- Attracting qualified and competent professors;
- Encouraging students, in each course, to prepare a research paper and present it in class;
- Working on attracting the seminary school students who have the Official Secondary Certificate or the official equivalent; and,
- Providing students with various services: loaning of books - academic system - e-mail - e-learning.
The Faculty of Religions and Humanities at Al Maaref University encourages constant access of its website so as to stay apprised of what is new in various fields, and to assess its performance in order to introduce necessary adjustments. In conclusion, the Faculty invites its students who have been in attendance since last year to abide by the University’s laws; it also invites all those who are inclined to study humanities from the liberal professions or students who have passed the Official Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent, to join the Faculty, because it will help them in this world and the hereafter, for whoever enrolls in this Faculty will earn the two lives, God willing.