All Business Administration students are to fulfill the requirements of a Professional Placement course to graduate. Students work throughout a semester during their junior or senior year with a company in an area of business related to the student’s major. This course provides students with on-the-job experience in their major. This experience will enhance and apply those concepts taught in the classroom.
Benefits of Professional Placement
- Gain on-the-job experience in the student’s major
- Build up and strengthen the student’s curriculum vitae
- Opportunity to enhance and apply those concepts taught in the classroom
- Improve positively career decisions
- Help identify competencies strengths/weaknesses
- Gain teamwork experience & Networking
Professional Placement Time Duration
The total number of hours for the Professional Placement is 240 hours. Professional Placement can range from 2 to 3 months, depending on the following:
- The needs and availability of the student,
- The working hours of the business where student is allocated, and
- The performance of the student.
Students can work in Summer, Fall or Spring Academic Semesters. During the Summer Professional Placement, interns will work for at least 20 hours per week. During the Fall and Spring Professional Placement, interns will have a range between 15 to 20 working hours per week (flexible schedule).
Competencies to Enhance
- Cognitive Skills & Knowledge
- Disposition and Adaptability
Advisor and Advising
The advisor is a full-time faculty member appointed to each applicant accepted as a student as of the first semester he/she is at Al Maaref University. The advisor acts as coach and mentor who is available to meet with students, guide them in preparing their academic schedules and assist those who are experiencing academic or personal problems.
The advisor maintains semester and progress grade reports for his/her advisees and reports his/her evaluation to the chairman of the academic unit in which the student is majoring.
Competencies & Skills
In light of the development and refinement of a cluster of work-related abilities, knowledge, soft and hard skills and sustainable commitments, the Faculty of Business Administration intends from the professional placement, competencies' enhancement and continuous advising and mentoring of students to enable them as individuals or part of teamwork to act effectively in a wide variety of expected or unexpected situations in an organization.